Saturday, August 15, 2009

District 9

Whoa! One word review: people get blowd up!! K, that was more than one word, but that surely does happen. This movie was pretty freaking fantastic. I was captured by the style of the film immediately and it just flowed so organically as it told the story. I really like that the trailer gave away just enough without really telling you much. I went into this film thinking I had some idea what was happening, but there was enough trickery in the trailer that I was well surprised by many elements of the film. The things I liked about the actual story would be giving away too much info, so I won't share too many details. I loved the development of the main character, Wikus. He acted stupidly for most of the film, but the motivations for those actions changed constantly. There is indeed a great deal of violence and ick. I had to shield my eyes from more than two scenes. By the end I still jumped in my seat every time someone got blowd up. Regardless, the filmmaking was superb. What I love about sci-fi films and shows is when they can make me believe that this world that is so absurd is possible or happening on screen. 'District 9' accomplished that task. With excellent CGI as well as writing and acting, I was taken into a quite fantastical world and was frightened with the possibilities of it. Overall, if you can stand some blood and body parts flying around every once in a while, please go see this movie. Who knows, maybe someday this world may be a reality.

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share