Friday, September 18, 2009

Heights

How did I not know about this movie? Why is it so freaking good? I stumbled upon this film while checking out facts about Rufus Wainwright online (so I don't fall behind on my obsessive knowledge of the man). Rufus has a small role in this brilliantly cast film about the city I love. 'Heights' takes place over the course of 24 hours telling the story of several interconnected individuals surviving in NYC. Glenn Close rocks it as Diana Lee with the help of the following individuals:

Elizabeth Banks - Isabel Lee
James Marsden - Jonathan Kestler
Jesse Bradford - Alec Lochka
John Light - Peter Cole
Rufus Wainwright - Jeremy
Eric Bogosian - Henry
George Segal - Rabbi Mendel
Andrew Howard - Ian
Isabella Rossellini - Liz
Matthew Davis - Mark
Michael Murphy - Jesse
Chandler Williams - Juliard Macbeth
Bess Wohl - Juilliard Lady Macbeth

Each of these individuals simply blew me away. There is nothing too dramatic, inspirational, life-altering, or profound about this movie, except in its simple and perfect way of telling a not too interesting story. The film just holds up in every possible way. The writing is strong and the plot keeps things moving. You know enough and are left guessing in all the right ways for all the right reasons. I could not call the ending happy, but it is very right. This movie just fits well. Its pieces fit well together. The actors fit into their roles. The drama fits well with the comedy. The theme fits well in the world. The whole thing fits me, as well. Set in NYC, starring Rufus Wainwright, about photographers, actors, and artists, featuring The Scottish Play; it just fits. I am so happy that I found this film. I may have talked it up too much, but I do hope you check it out. It is very simple, but very beautiful and just a nice movie.

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share